The Gluu Server is a free and open source access management tool written primarily in java and python. The Gluu Server combines best-of-breed open source identity and access management software with easy administration, and is engineered to support robust enterprise requirements for uptime and availability.
100% Open Source & Open Standards
When we started Gluu, our mission was to create an open source access management utility that enabled more organizations to deliver a better authentication and authorization service. When possible, we used existing open source software and wrote our own open source software to fill in the cracks.
Each component of the Gluu Server fulfills a different requirement:
- CAS is an enterprise Single Sign-On solution for web services. CAS should only be used to connect legacy applications. OpenID Connect and SAML are preferred for new application integrations.
- Shibboleth is one of the most dependable open source SAML single sign-on servers available and is in production at more than 5,000 organization’s worldwide.
- Asimba SAML Proxy* enables an organization to consolidate inbound SAML authentication from the IDPs of partners to a website or app.
- oxAuth is Gluu’s inter-op leading OpenID Connect IDP and industry leading UMA Authorization Server (AS).
- Gluu OpenDJ LDAP is our compiled and supported version of OpenDJ that provides persistence for the Gluu Server.
- oxTrust is the server administration application. In oxTrust, the server admin can manage and configure SAML & OpenID Connect single sign-on, and script policies to enforce custom authentication workflows and control access to web resources like folders and API’s.
*Not currently included in CE.
The Bottom Line
People–employees, customers, and partners-–need to be identified to interact electronically with an organization. Authentication (authn) and authorization (authz) is a challenge faced by almost every organization large enough to register an Internet domain. But it’s not just people that need to be authenticated and authorized. “Clients” are online agents that can interact with services on your behalf. With the emergence of the IoT and the API economy, developers and system administrators are urgently searching for standards based solutions and best practices to improve the security of web and mobile applications.
The Gluu Server is like a router for authentication and authorization. It speaks multiple dialects of SSO, and can help an organization manage both inbound and outbound authentication and authorization requirements. The Gluu Server is flexible enough to enforce any policy you can script and can be scaled to meet the needs of organizations of all sizes.