The Gluu Server Overview
The Gluu Server is a free and open source access management tool written primarily in java and python. The Gluu Server combines best-of-breed open source identity and access management software with easy administration, and is engineered to support robust enterprise requirements for uptime and availability.
100% Open Source & Open Standards
At Gluu, we strongly believe that open source software is simply the best software available. When we started Gluu, our mission was to use the best existing open source software when available, and write our own open source software to fill in the cracks.
Each component fulfills a different requirement:
- Shibboleth is in production at more than 5,000 organization’s worldwide, making it one of the most battle-tested and dependable SAML single sign-on servers available.
- Asimba is a heavily tested and customizable SAML proxy. Websites can point to the Asimba IDP and enable single sign-on for a number of trusted back-end IDP’s.
- oxAuth is an inter-op leading OpenID Connect IDP and an industry leading UMA Authorization Server (AS).
- GluuLDAP is a free and open source LDAP server that provides the persistence layer for the the Gluu Server.
- oxTrust is the server administration application. In oxTrust, the server admin can manage and configure SAML & OpenID Connect single sign-on, and script policies to enforce custom authentication workflows and control access to web resources like folders and API’s.
Engineered for Flexibility, Uptime and Scaling
The Gluu Server can be deployed in clusters and scaled horizontally to provide a robust, geographically distributed authentication and authorization service. Within a cluster, servers can be added and removed as needed without disrupting the service.
Supported and Non-Supported Deployment Models
Three different deployment models enable organizations of all sizes to utilize the Gluu Server:
- Community Edition: The Gluu Server CE is an easy to install package of the Gluu Server, without SAML. Inclusion of Shibboleth and Asimba is in progress and is expected to be introduced soon. Community support can be enlisted for free. VIP support can be purchased for private assistance, consultations, training and more.
- Build / Operate: For organizations that need more hands on support, Gluu can build your servers and maintain ongoing root access to the machines in order to proactively trouble shoot issues and provide 24/7 monitoring.
- Build / Transfer: For many organizations, giving a third party root access can be an unacceptable security practice. With Build / Transfer, we give you a pre-configured RPM package that can be deployed on up to 5 servers in a cluster, and provide ongoing remote support.
The Secret Sauce
Gluu uses a proprietary Puppet recipe to deliver our Build / Operate service at scale. Puppet allows us to remotely build, manage and support Gluu Servers in a consistent way.
By leveraging our puppet infrastructure, your organization can deliver an in-house, enterprise class identity and access management service using all open source software.
You’d be hard pressed to build and operate a more robust authentication and authorization service, with as many features as the Gluu Server, in less time, for less money. Its a utility approach to IAM, on the network of your choice.