Happy Holidays! We’re open sourcing our entire product suite!
How much of your code to open source is an existential question for enterprise software vendors like Gluu. Share too little, and you may struggle to build a community. Share too much, and you may not have the resources to fund long term innovation.
Finding the right balance was one of the reasons we started the Open Source Underdogs podcast back in 2018.
Now, 17 months later, the podcast features interviews with leaders from 40 (and counting!) of the most successful open source software companies on the planet.
After completing season 2, we decided it was time to apply lessons learned to our own business strategy. And, you’ll be glad to hear, we’re going more in the direction of open source!
In 2020, we’ll be open sourcing the code, Linux packages and Docker images (as applicable) for our entire product suite, including:
- Casa: a user-facing web portal that enables people to manage two-factor authentication (2FA) credentials
- Super Gluu: the source code for our push-notification authentication mobile app
- Gluu Gateway: our API gateway solution that enables access management based on OpenID, UMA or OAuth.
- oxTrust APIs: Configuration API’s for automating features available in the oxTrust admin web GUI.
- Gluu Couchbase: Now anyone can use the NoSQL Couchbase EE database instead of LDAP (of course, you’ll still need a license for Couchbase Enterprise Edition).
There’s no core functionality in these components–they’re purely deployment tools. But by using our tools, large organizations can more quickly achieve their requirements for uptime and performance, and Gluu can more effectively support enterprise deployments.
The joyous aspect of this strategy is that it aligns all of our functional software development efforts with open source. No longer will we have to consider whether a feature should be open source or commercial–it’s all open source! We also believe this strategy will help us build a larger community of developers who can contribute to all parts of our codebase.
Over the next few weeks we’ll be updating our documentation, repositories and webpages to align with this announcement.
But in the meantime…
- If you have questions or comments, tweet at us!
- If you’re interested in our commercial tools and enterprise support, schedule a call.
- And if you notice that we missed updating the license on any assets, just open a ticket on the support forum.
And with that…
Happy Holidays, World!
Subscribe to Get News and Product Updates
our RSS Feed