Calling Austin software developers! If you have enjoyed attending the EAST Studio Tour (or other studio tours around the country) here is your chance to give back. For two days over the weekend of February 15th, 2014, we’ll be hosting a hackathon at the GoLab co-work space in downtown Austin to build a mobile app to help artists list their works, and help people more effectively share the works with their network of art-appreciating friends and family around the globe.
A mobile app would solve a few problems. Austin’s community of artists make our city a much more inspiring and fun place to live. But unfortunately, Austin’s population of artists probably exceeds the size of the art-buying market. A mobile app that enabled people to tweet photos of art out to their network could help artists reach a larger market of potential buyers.
Another benefit of a mobile app is to enable artists in out-of-the-way locations to get their work seen by more people–leveraging the people who make the effort to see individual studios that are not in an art-studio mecca.
The goal of the hackathon is to create a mobile app. Extra points for a cross browser solution (Cordova… hint, hint…) or perhaps an HTML5 application. The APIs and sample data will be provided to the app developers (more detail to be posted here soon). The registration / authentication system will also be given.
Register on the Hacking East Challenge Post :
Saturday, February 15th: Kickoff, Form Teams, and Code : 8am – 2am
Sunday, February 16th: Coding 8am – 11am Presentations: 11am-12pm Awards / Lunch: 12pm – 1pm
Prizes have been announced on our Challenge Post Hackathon Page.
We will list the API’s and sample data for programmers on this website. User registration and authentication API’s will also be a given.
- Interface for artist to take a photo of the artwork, enter summary info, and upload
- An EAST attendee can find an artist by searching or by entering the site number
- After finding a specific art work, the attendee can push the artwork to her social networks
- The app should be able to generate a QR code, which the artist can print and affix next to their art to facilitate people posting the artwork.
- Hack like a true hacker – use any tools, tricks, frameworks you wish to speed things up!
- Developers must be willing to open source their code. We are hoping that this code can be used by other cities that want to launch their own artist studio tour app.
- Up to four hackers per team
- Have fun, this is all about the experience
- The GoLab is the HQ for programming. When you want a break for a beer or ping pong, we can show you the secret passage to Easy Tiger which is a hop, skip and a jump away.
If we’re able to show a good design for an app, hopefully we’ll be able to help East publish the required APIs so they can support a community built app. Perhaps a CrowdTilt to finish the rest of the code and launch the app in time for East in November 2014?
Are you interested in sponsoring? Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for details. We are especially looking for sponsors for five meals, snacks and coffee.
621 E. 6th Street
Austin, TX 78701
Subscribe to Get News and Product Updates
our RSS Feed